Wednesday, 22 May 2013

Orkys get a big boom gun!

Hi it's Corben again

Today I want to tell you about my tank I have built. My dad gave me a basilisk tank for me to convert into an ork looted vehicle. A piece of my tank was missing, so somebody sent me a part that I needed all the way from Africa.

My dad gave me a few bits to add on to make it look funky. My dad helped me to do the tricky bits like clipping the top armour off and adding the end of the barrel.

My dad has arranged me to have a session with the manager of games workshop so he can teach me how to paint it. It is 8th birthday in 3 weeks and I am hoping to get more orks.


(Big shout out to Da Masta Cheef for sending the bottom of chimera chassis all the way from America! lol. Also, big shout out to Ed, the manager of GW stoke who's agreed to do a masterclass session on painting vehicles, it turns out that he's a bit of a vehicle painting expert!)

Sunday, 12 May 2013

Pimping a Paint Station (Alt : Insomnia Nights)

I've mentioned before that my hobby time and space is pretty limited, having a small house and little ones running through it doesn't really mix well with dedicated hobby spaces. In this madness, my only area of hobby freedom is my painting station which when not deployed, waits patiently on top of a display cabinet, well out of the little ones reach.

When is did come out, I used to spend a lot of my time searching for the right paint or tool because it was so cluttered with it being my only hobby space. So a few nights ago during a bout of insomina I decided to pimp up my paint station. I present the mark 2 paint station ....

The main addition is the tool and paint holder in the center of the shelf. I'm always struggling to find the right paint, brush or tool so I used 3/4 inch plastic piping to create a row of brush and tool holders, then foam board to create a paint pot holder for my 16 most commonly used paints.

My main painting light was a clip on desk lamp which was a pain in the backside because it's gripper base was broken so it was always failing over. So I broke off the base completely and grabbed my paperclips and pin-vice. After a short while of swearing and unsticking superglued fingers, I'd managed to fix the base of the lamp to the back of the paint station. I also made a nifty hobby saw holder on the side.

Finally, a clipper holder on the other side ...

Now it's literally put down, plug in and paint. I'm already noticing how much easier it is to work on and no doubt I'll keep adding to it and refining it, so keep your eyes out for a future post on the mark 3 version!

I'm interested to know if any of you guys have any space saving / storage tips for the hoarder hobbyist, let me know in the comments guys!