After my last post on Friday, I was just getting the last of the things together for camping when I had a idea. I might not have been able to do any work on my models whilst camping, but there was no reason why I couldn't practice some sculpting.
I grabbed my sculpting kit comprising of my tools, some green stuff, my little pink tin of vaseline (the one with the daemon faces) and a piece of plasticard to work on.
So, I found myself on Saturday afternoon watching the kids play and decided to break out the sculpting stuff and kill some time. After a little thinking about what I should sculpt, I settled on stowage for my vehicles. I've run out of the GW stowage and the new kits don't automatically come with the accessory sprue, so I figured making my own might be a good idea. A few hours later, I came up with this .....
First off, I had a go at getting the basic shape with the straps and cloth flap, I also tried to put some texture on it, but that turned out a bit of a fail.
After it was done, I realised that it was a bit static and didn't really look like it was hanging off the side of a tank so the next one, I worked on making it look a bit more natural. I also added some more pronounced creases by the straps.
That one turned out better, so I gave it another go trying to get more of a hang to the material.
At that point, I was quite happy with how the material looked hanging and decided to try and up my game by adding a buckle to a strap. I managed to get the basic shape of the buckle down but failed on the strap and didn't even attempt a pin.
After getting the basic shape of the buckle down, I tried to improve on it with the next. This one came out a little chunky but all the details were there. I had the buckle, pin and the strap looked ok.
Next up, I tried adding the straps separately after getting the basic shape of the cloth down. these turned out a bit chunky, so I slight fail there but I added a central strap and buckle which was a lot smaller than the last ones and ended up looking ok.
Finally, I put together everything I'd practiced earlier and came up with some stowage with double straps with buckles. I'm really pleased with how this one came out, there's room for improvement but I really feel like like with a bit more practice I'll have them down to a tee.
I always feel that close ups of sculpting show up all the flaws, much like close ups of painted models, so here's a pic that's close to what it looks like in real life (at least on my laptop screen - lol).
Another plus was the fact that they were all done with the GW sculpting tool. In the past, I've never been able to use the metal tools and so all my work was done with the clay shapers. Now, I can't see how I managed to sculpt with the clay shapers in the first place.
So my camping trip was a good weekend and gave me a chance to up my sculpting skills - double win!