Sometimes, I wonder whether it's really worth picking up prebuilt models and then converting and repainting them. The chimera chassis for this hydra project was a nightmare, why do people spend good money on these kits and then put so little effort into putting them together. This one in particular had a whole host of problems. First off, whoever put it together decided to have the tracks running in different directions, so I had to remove one of the tracks which involved sweat and a lot of swearing. I also filed the top of the chassis flat as I wanted a look similar to my ambulance rather than the standard chimera.
This involved filling a few of the gun slits with greenstuff and then filing them flat after a few of them turned into gaping holes after the lasguns were cut off.
I also had to file the backdoor flat after it was put on the wrong way round. C'mon, how do you put the door on the wrong way round? Whatever the original creator was smoking when he did this, I want some!
I also put the missile assembly together, it's tilting a bit high at the moment but that because it was the only way I could get it to sit flat. The right mount is slightly warped but I planned to fix that when it got mounted on the chassis.
I did a quick mockup of what it was going to be like when it's mounted, overall I was pretty pleased at this point although the missiles definitely need pointing further down.
Once I finished filing down the chassis, I was time to start building it back up again. This meant adding a new track, a filed down cupola, vent, searchlight and some basic stowage. I also used my dremmel to cut out a hole mount for the missile assembly.
After that, it was time to add all the rivets I'd filed off whilst prep'ing the chassis. This was done with a scalpel, some plastic rod and some more profanity.
Once the rivets were in place, all that was left was to rebuild the back door. I found it quite a fiddly process but very rewarding when I saw the finished article. Must admit, I feel like I'm slowly getting better with working with plasticard. I'm a long way off the likes of Dei Greci, but I'm taking it one step at a time.
And here we have the finished article, the first of the Corbanian Starstreak Hydras. All I need to do is break out the paints and see if I can remember the colours and techniques I used on my other vehicles.
Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the finished vehicle, although I'm starting to wonder whether buying prebuilt models is really worth it. Yes, you can pickup a bargain but when they're plagued with problems like this one, the extra effort and bits needed sort of negate the cost savings.
Luckily, my next prebuilt chimera chassis has the tracks going the right way and the backdoor on the right way round, I'm now wondering way I didn't use that one in the first place - lol.